This Valentine's Day started off gray -- just the sky, as expected here. My heart is happy, though I am a hundred miles away from my hunny. Still far closer than the thousands between us a month ago.
Instead I'm curled up in a blue cocoon on Amy's couch, in her house in Eugene, waiting for her and Tommy to get up.
My train ride down from Portland was beautiful. It was on one of the double decker, big ole' honkin trains that was running all the way to Sacremento. I sat in the last car, and my seatmate dozed and texted as my eyes wandered around the car. My neighbors discussed U of O law school and triathalons; the other ones talked about Montana's economy and natural resources, and traveling. The sun was shining between Portland and Junction City, I saw big, snowy mountains in the distance and herds of sheep.
The haze took over slowly as the sun set and faded to the same orangey tint I'm used to seeing here. As the train pulled up to the station, it started sprinkling. I got off and smelled reefer, thinking to myself, "I guess it is a 'smoking stop,' " and laughing inside. Welcome back to Eugene, Laura Jane!
We warmed our bellies with "wild" Thai food right down the street; I'm already thinking about mine for leftovers this afternoon. Otis and Cooper scurried around as I dozed off, jingling and eating and trying to sit on my head.
And here I am, thinking about the mister still sleeping in bed at home. Hopefully doing better than yesterday -- down with the flu since Tuesday or something. I had raced out to Freddie's to get soup, tea, fresh veggies, ocillo, you name it. All he really wanted was cough meds, though. I think the rest was for my peace of mind. Always offering "too many options," something I'm sure I picked up from my mom.
Seeing Amy and Tommy, two other Oregon transplants this past summer, makes me miss you folks in Tennessee...quite a bit. All three of us grumble a little bit about the things I expected, but somehow having Tennessee friends makes the transition easier, the rain less severe and the sunny days brighter.
And now I'm left to daydream about the mister and our budding love. Mother Hips show at the Doug Fir + scrumptious dinner next weekend + the gaudiest glue-and-doilie creation I can think of...that boy's got it comin for him. Heh.
No comments:
Post a Comment