It never ceases to amaze me how reading one tiny article can ignite my editorial interests so quickly. I won't lie, my heart was a-flutter before even turning the page. But I haven't felt this way about writing and editing since my junior or senior year in J school.
I was able to ascertain—or at least further confirm—the essence of someone, or some event or place, through a roughly two-page article. This is not breakthrough, I realize, but the way words encapsulate a passion or hobby and tell a story, a good story, has fueled my interest for years. I've always loved reading those stories more than producing them, and often the goal, a finished product, gets in the way of writing. Now, finally as an editor I can allow myself to be amazed and challenged again. It's as if the lampshade was taken off the editor part of my brain and I'm shining brightly with all bulbs blazing once again
My published writing in the past 16 months almost causes me to quiver in my clogs. I somehow managed to stumble through physician and consumer publications, article after article, for that long, not as confident as I prefer to feel about my work.
I feel my career coming together, literally at my job, but more figuratively like a well-composed article that uses different figures of speech (in this case, life experiences, friends and acquaintances) and examples to come to a beautiful conclusion. Well, that's a pretty lame metaphor...but you get the idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment