Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Slow Shifts

It's the daily tasks that make me feel normal, human, real, and not like a work zombie.

Last night I cooked myself spaghetti squash with pesto after a long day of clicking on stories 9-5, hitting the grocery store and exercising for the first time in more than a week. Everything was refreshing, and those things brought a sense of inner calm.

The grocery store was buzzing with activity, though that's no surprise for a veteran cashier. I've noticed the Kroger way out by work tends to have loads of married-looking men and dads running around the store, like someone put a bomb on their cart, and talking excessively on the cell phone. I've never noticed so many people on cell phones. Could they really have forgotten that many things? Did they even think to make a list? Can they wait 15 minutes to talk to their s.o.s, or are they talking to their mistresses while picking up lunchmeat for the rugrats at home?

...I should just go back to the Fellini Kroger. Hah.

My last "six months" in Knoxville have been whittled down to President Bush's remaining 8 weeks in office, plus some spare time in Chattanooga. It's hard to believe I started this mission with my vacation and move with Amy and Tommy back in August -- and god knows I had been planning that trip since May. 2008 has proved to be a transition year, which is good, albeit painful at times and awkward at best. I graduated nearly a year ago, and I've held multiple part-time jobs. I finally felt at home here; my college friends have scattered or moved, and I've come to know a different group of ladies who are like family.

No comments: