Saturday, January 3, 2009

comfortably close

The sound of rain, too much 'nuts n bolts' and a shaky smile haunt my work experience this Saturday. My previous post was laden with my fear of two weeks' notices, something I despise. Why give them? I just want to go, now, whenever I want. No, I don't want to allow you to plan ahead! Why be so kind?

I will, though, especially after seeing that a boss has already put me down to work the weekend before I'm OreGONE. Yeah, right. Two weeks, that's it. And I'm outta here, see ya later, kiss my white hiney.

I'm headed for coastal collaborations with ET exiles. (This just in from Wikipedia. Self-exile: I'm avoiding death in my household.) The boxes are stacking up, most of them Chattanooga- or Rising Fawn-bound. The folks are kindly serving as a temp storage area till I decide to establish a residence of my own. Chances are I won't, or I won't ever need those things again. I'm having a hard time parting with some of my favorite books, favorite headlines, favorite costume clothes that just won't fit in one of my three bags or packages.

So the whittling-down process has begun! If you wanted anything (cork boards, weird shoes, even weirder shirts), too bad. A big haul was loaded in the Exploder and is headed for Goodwill at my earliest convenience.

con·ve·nient
adjective
Middle English, from Latin convenient-, conveniens, from present participle of convenirecom- + venire to come — more at come to assemble, come together, be suitable, from
1obsolete : suitable , proper
2 a: suited to personal comfort or to easy performance convenient time> b: suited to a particular situation convenient excuse> c: affording accommodation or advantage convenient to deal with both problems at the same time>
3: being near at hand : close convenient to the train station>
con·ve·nient·ly adverb

Are friends anything more than a convenience? Or rather, do friendships form based on convenience? I've conveniently not spoken with friends because it was an inconvenience or just flat out unbearable. I've ended relationships because it was convenient. I think I'm tapping a larger process of intercommunication, but I'm too sleepy to expound on such thoughts.

Another slow night at the paper. Another dance party.


1 comment:

opit said...

You do bad things to my sense of whimsy. I thought a public convenience was the lavatory.