Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Glimmer of Greener Days

This morning I officially felt the tingle of an upcoming vacation in my spine and my step. With a 70-degree day behind me and the time-change weekend in my future, there couldn't be a better way to celebrate sunshine than by taking three days off work.

Last night I dreamed that I was looking in the mirror and saw what appeared to be little holes in my face. It was really a perfect layer of dead skin that I peeled off my face in one gigantic piece. It reminded me of when I used to peel my skin post-sunburn and reveled in the big "chunks" of dead skin. My dream seems representative of the month-long 180 I've taken, from excitement about a 3-month getaway plan gone bad to a gnarly lawsuit that sent me back to one year ago, to spring, vacation and sunnier days.

It feels good to put the lawsuit behind me. I still have other dreams about the most lasting effects of the situations, but those too will pass and just be a fading memory.

To celebrate the sunshine this weekend, some friends were pickin' on the porch with free-flowing beer and laughs. J and I have been eagerly planning our getaway—but not too eagerly. Plans are still loose, and as he puts it, there are so many "big" touristy things about Philadelphia, and the nooks and crannies may bring the most pleasure. Specifically, not having plans will bring the most pleasure for me and also be the most relaxing.

Philadelphia, here I come! To discover your grimey streets and old buildings.

What I would give to be sitting on 7th in Portland drinking a Roots red ale in warm sunshine, or on a sidewalk patio sipping a foamy soy latte. Sunny spring days incite laziness and long hours outside till my fingers and toes are too chilly and my eyes are weary. A few of those afternoons are definitely in order.

No comments: