Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Philly Adventure

I donned my green shirt and headed out the door this morning, ready to take on a productive Tuesday.

"Babe, we're the only ones with a trashcan out on the street."

J's comment finally broke my serious a.m. affectation. I laughed, realizing that I'm off a day and have a "vacation hangover." I feel like I'm a day behind. Otherwise it seems easy to slip back into the routine of the 9-5 as I uncover new rhythms and patterns that boost my effectiveness in front of the glowing box.

Philly was amazing. The weather, and J's sudden cold from hell, kept it from being truly awesome, but we hiked around in the blustery rain and I was in awe of the row houses and history there. It didn't have a pretentious feel; more familiar and old than anything, I guess, but maybe all cities that size have that comfortable feel. Tightly packed and brimming with so many cultures and backgrounds that it's easy to find someone from a totally different place and mindset from yourself.

We spent a good chunk of time at the art museum one day, and then Mutter the next, gazing at double-headed fetuses and the brain matter of presidents past. The rain dumped on us as we slowly drove through the Laurel Cemetery after the Mutter, transitioning from one dead museum to the next; this one covered in giant monuments and their residents' lasting attempts to outdo the next body.

The highlights of the trip were more simple; Northern foods that are more difficult to find in my Scenic City. Prosciutto and salami, fresh (really fresh) mozz and big garlicky olives; dark, smooth coffee from La Colombe, where the barista knew our host as a regular; fresh Pennsylvania brews that were well balanced, as well as a few German beers in half-liter glasses that put us behind a few hours. Of course I tried the traditional Philly cheesesteak, "wit" and "Provolone," and we sampled from both Gino's and Pat's in South Philly. J dared to get the cheezwiz.

So despite the rain, the city felt homey. Our host, especially, was endearing, honest and fun. Discussions of writing and reflections on work and life infiltrated rainy breakfasts waiting for "sleeping beauty" to face the day. I yearn to keep adventuring and exploring. The taste of travel leaves a lingering, sweet flavor in my mouth.

No comments: