Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gray Day Gifts

In light of the region's extraordinary snowfall recently, Chattanoogans now must suffer a gross, misty rain today. I'll take it when compared with the slick roads of last week—though the sand that seems to coat my entire commute (and somehow makes its way into my house) I could do without.

But this morning, with my commuting inspiration Colleen and sensible sister in mind, I paired my long-ish rain jacket with rain boots for a happy, dry ride to work. Granted it wasn't so much raining as just drizzling, but I can only imagine the outfit would keep me high and dry in heavier precipitation as well. I've had both rain pieces for well over two years—they were a thoughtful pre-Portland departure gift—yet neither made it out of my closet till maybe last fall.

Enough about the wardrobe! Since the snow melted in my yard, it seems like life is returning to the soggy ground. The grass looks somewhat green, the compost pile is finally visible, and amazingly the cacti seem to be thriving. As the days of January tick away and temperatures slowly rise above 40 degrees, my thoughts wander to after-work jaunts on the bicycle and longer hours of daylight. Though it's already apparent the sunshine is stretching on. I've been able to catch a lingering sunset behind the mountains on a few of my 6 p.m. runs, and I'm no longer greeted by a pitch black evening when leaving the James.

This weekend I was treated to concert in Nashville—a friend took me to see The Walkmen at the Exit/In on Saturday. We ate and drank our way around town and somehow avoided the inauguration crowds that day. I didn't see any cyclists while we were there, though I can imagine I was looking in the wrong places. Also, we traveled by vehicle, and not many of our destinations were within walking distance of each other. Regardless, it was great to escape Chattanooga for a day, have some well-crafted cocktails and gain a greater appreciation of my own city's vibrant essence and familiarity.

The season of planning and renewal is fast approaching for me. Between eying CSAs, anticipating the return of normal hours at the Wednesday market and arranging vacations and more weekend getaways, I'm looking forward 2011. So maybe my head is a little bit in dream land... but I feel so delightfully pleasant, and I'm so lucky to be surrounded with lively, loving friends.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey, I was hoping you were the Laura Jane that posted on my blog ;)

I think we live near each other. I'm over on 10th. We should hang.

Laura Jane said...

Woohooooo! Another neighborhood friend!