Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Growing Season

While I have yet to try my hand at gardening and growing my own vegetables, I do enjoy and regularly peruse local produce, whether from the Wednesday Farmers Market, Sunday's Chattanooga Market or that yuppie health food store on the Northshore.

Spring onion tart!


Last year I chronicled some of my adventures of eating my way through a half share of Community Supported Agriculture from Crabtree Farms. Kimchee, various slaws, incredible salads and GREENS. Lots of GREENS and other various fruits, veggies and herbs came through my kitchen, and I was sad when the challenge of cooking ended in October or so.

Over the season, though, I met different farmers at the market and was particularly impressed with Curtis and Letty at Circle S. I was MOST excited about the option to get a weekly egg share from them. Local eggs are hard to come by, and they're a dietary staple for me, not to mention a tasty, quick meal to pair with lots of veggies.

Enter the season's first two CSAs. Tonight, B crafted a onion tart with this week's green onions to pair with local pork chops. Delicious? I hope so. Tomorrow I'm going to battle the Sunday market to get a huge basket of berries for preserves, freezing and tasty additions to yogurt all week long.

Here's to many more months of adventurous use of local vegetables! Support our local farmers! It's worth every penny.

No comments: