Monday, May 9, 2011

Only you, Suzie Q!

This weekend marked Mother's Day—a holiday I don't mind celebrating. I'm so blessed to be able to spend time with my MamaSooz who has passed on more than her good looks and great genes. She also raised three beautiful kids and taught me how to be a hospitable, loving, warm host—and a pretty decent cook.

(Though I can't leave out my sister, the other major female influence and kitchen whiz in my life!)

Regardless, the celebrating called for some local deliciousness! B and I drove up to M'boro to make strawberry ice cream with his mom on Saturday. Earlier in the week he scored some fresh milk from a friend in Ringgold. Of which we still have... practically two gallons! I've been devising delicious creamy things to make all week.

Sunday morning I got up early and collected the remaining ingredients for my quickee brunch prep. Using eggs, spinach and greens from my Circle S Farms CSA and mushrooms, goat cheese and spices, I made my favorite frittata, inspired by a Moosewood Cookbook recipe (and of course, the sister!).

My Mom's birthday conveniently falls right around Mother's Day, and no birthday is complete without birthday cake. Enter chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting (using what else but that heavenly local cream!) on top of toasted almond gelato and macerated strawberries. Big noms! I only regret not taking more photos.

No comments: