Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Racks, rides and cool mornings

There is something magical about morning commutes in late summer and early fall.

This morning my arms were almost chilly. Not enough to warrant sleeves, but a nice brisk feeling to start the day. Since I've moved out of North Chattanooga, my commute is about the same distance but involves new traffic factors, ie. a busy street to cross initially, followed by a scenic, calm ride through campus. Then I plummet down 7th Street, hopefully getting all the green lights, and it feels like a roller coaster. I feel refreshed as I dismount and sneak inside.

...where I am greeted by the COOLEST workplace bicycle racks! The company that owns my building recently installed four hanging rail-type racks on the wall. They're easy to use (unless your bike weighs 30 lbs.), attractive and behind locked doors. I don't think I could ask for more. Needless to say, my beauty gets to rest under lock and key downstairs while I work, and I never face the elevator anxiety that I did in the past.

Which reminds me—I have been cyclocommuting on a daily basis for more than a year. Sometimes I check out my outfit in the elevator mirror on my way to the office. Sure, I could look a tad more professional in the summer, or stash some dress pants at work when necessary. But the thrill and joy I get from riding to and from work everyday is truly amazing. I can't believe most people don't get to start their mornings like I start my own, and I can only hope to encourage people to try it—at least once.

I also recently ramped up my pedaling in the past few weeks. The noontime temps have dropped and enabled me to get at least 10 miles in on my lunch break between weightlifting days. J and I, and hopefully some co-workers, are planning to ride the Sequatchie Valley metric century on Oct. 2—62 miles and a numb butt, here I come!

I seem to draw comparisons between running and cycling the more extensively I pedal. Running incites a very personal, quiet, meditative state. Cycling, already part of my daily routine, seems to be more adventurous. You can cover much more ground, and though it requires a high level of traffic awareness and tolerance, cycling takes me to new parts of town.

No comments: