My (sub)urban cyclo-adventures continued this morning with a 27-mile route that took J and I over the river via C.B. Robinson and back to town on Ashland Terrace/McCahill Road/Moccasin Bend.
This "training," per se, has been far more intriguing than any of my past rides. I've truly taken routes that in the past seemed too dangerous or unrealistic for cycling. But after our trip to Earth Fare last weekend, cycling in Chattanooga seems so attainable.
We did, however, pass David Meek's ghost bike on Ashland Terrace, an all-to-recent reminder of driver-cyclist tensions on the road.
I purchased a new Terry saddle today in the ongoing quest to find a comfortable seat for my bum. Either the thickness or firmness or SOMETHING makes the ride feel more like a Cadillac instead of a Honda Civic. I'm still adjusting though—so expect a more in-depth review to come after at least 15 miles.
While we were in the bike shop, one of the mechanics commented on how our ride was very "urban." Yes, true, and that's what I loved so much about it. I walked right out my door and didn't have to get in a car. It's not the prettiest ride through the country, but I'm able to ride to errands as part of my "training." And what's so urban about visiting the suburbs? I don't get to visit them very often—and most suburban areas I have never visited on a bicycle.
Next week, I'm going to conquer the metric century in the Sequatchie Valley! Then on Sunday, J and I are going on a 45-mile, three-farm tour up on Lookout Mountain to visit some CSAs. It should be challenging, exciting and great stress relief.
No comments:
Post a Comment