Sunday, May 3, 2009

Take a STAND!

(Ed. Note: This blog was inspired by ChattanoogaStand.com. I formally invite YOU to let us know what Chattanooga's future should look like. Let's here it!)

What do I want in Chattanooga?

I want to protect the natural beauty of Chattanooga, and clean it up while we're there.

I want to teach others how to care for the land on which we play, regardless of political agenda, upbringing, etc. Demonstrating the direct effects of taking good care of the earth and how that benefits EVERYONE...it can be done. It's more than a marketing message.

I want to see more school communities like the one I attended as more affordable and accessible options to more families.

I want a health food store other than Greenlife. I want grocers to be community leaders AND business folks.

I want to see more commuting bikers and organized neighborhood bike rides. This is a beautiful place, and two-wheeled tours engage riders and connect them with neighbors, neighborhoods and new places.

I want a movie theater that serves beer and shows movies for cheap.

I want speed bumps on West Mississippi Ave. I want passenger trains to go through at least one Central or East Tennessee town.

(Print is dead, Laura Jane. Shut your trap about weeklies! You remember how angry the ones in Portland made you? Sheesh. Stick with this web business. It's sticky, and fun.)

I want a First Friday art walk (or maybe I just don't know about it).

I want to ban smoking from all restaurants and bars!

(And for this to happen...) I want to be on a first-name basis with my elected representatives.

All of these things are centered around me and my needs. Not once did I write about organizations that feed and shelter the homeless...gentrification...minorities. There is a lot of social and ethical concern, but it's not on my front burner. I think I underestimate a lot of what goes on in the up and coming area where we boogied down last night. I think I underestimate a lot of Chattanoogans.

I want to learn humility, patience and how to love wholly and freely.

I want to help erase cynicism from the forefront of my generation's mind and attitude.

I want to embrace that which makes me uncomfortable and uneasy.

My first list of wants would indirectly benefit or effect others, I guess. My motivations aren't awful.

Biking through otherwise overlooked neighborhoods puts individuals in touch with the neighbors. Riders aren't behind glass windows, afraid of stereotypical "bad neighborhood" behavior, but are waving to folks, ringing their bike bells and smiling. The connection between bike riders and front porch folks could SOME DAY change a driver's perspective behind the wheel.

Art on Wheels? First Friday comes to the lovely Chattanooga? Monthly neighborhood/event bike rides?

No comments: