This rainy, lazy Saturday has been filled with rain showers and impromptu cycling.
We picked up Ole Blue at Suck Creek Cycles. Mike put on new caliper brakes and brake levers (complete with hoods. Hoods. Really? What a name).
I needed the brakes tightened on Betty. I've been riding her almost every day since February and my hands have practically cramped up trying to stop on Market Street at times.
Mike gave 'em a once over and tightened the V-brakes up beautifully! I can stop on a dime now, and with far less effort. I asked him what I should pay him.
"Bring me one of your favorite pints!" he said. "In fact, I think I have an empty growler here."
So J and I scooted back over to Riverside and paid Mike in beer. It's not the first time I've done this, either. Last year I bartered with some Orgeon brews for him to put Ellie back together after her second shipment cross country. That's what local businesses are good for, right? Great friends, great knowledge, and good deals—all only a few blocks away.
J and I also wrapped that beautiful handlebar tape ourselves! I would have just had it done at the shop—having grown up the younger sister of a bike mechanic, why not have someone else do it? The silver spoon of cycling... ahh...
(Spoiled rotten, lazy, or lucky as hell?)
Thus, in the first two days, the new panniers have hauled in a few short trips:
• a gallon of beer in growlers
• 24 beers
• eggs and other groceries
• rain gear!
Spoiled rotten, for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment