I took my second journey across Walnut Street Bridge on my way to work this morning. Since only one side of the bridge is open, I still have to be somewhat polite to yell "Bike on your left!" to the walkers in the morning. I feel remotely guilty about this, and it makes me miss the bell I had. The new, yet-to-be-named Bianchi doesn't have much room on the handlebars.
After a weekend trip to Atlanta, I ordered some Ortlieb Backroller Plus rear panniers. I can't wait for them to arrive—and I can kiss the milk crate goodbye for awhile. It makes mounting and dismounting somewhat uncomfortable and risky. I've found that's a risk I don't like to take.
Friday, however, J and I conquered a few new utility cycling achievements. We tied a pizza from Lupi's on my rack with two bungees—and got it home safe and sound. Then we rode up to a friend's house (at the top of a monster N.Chatt hill) for a party. J took his recently purchased 1980s touring Bianchi! With... GEARS!
As a full-time geared cyclist myself, an S.O. who is nearly full-time fixed can pose some challenges. His style of riding has inherent advantages, of course, and requires amazing skills that I don't have. But large ascents and descents are taken at a much different pace. For the first time we were able to COAST together down the monster hills on the way home. Old blue is in for new caliper brakes at Suck Creek this week—hopefully we'll be costing together more frequently!
No comments:
Post a Comment